Sunday, July 17, 2011

Confession: Midge vs Me

This may come as a shock, but Midge isn't my real name.

Sorry, maybe I should've suggested you prepare yourself for that. You okay?

Midge is a nickname from an old co-worker. It has nothing to do with Barbie's stylish friend and everything to do with my height. (I'm five feet tall.)

The name was just a joke until I moved to take a new job. There were two others there who shared my real name. One had been there for years and the other was newer like me. We were both asked if we had nicknames to make it easier for everyone.

The other gal chose a nickname that sounds very close to her middle name - which we also share - so that made it even harder for me.

I didn't know what else to do so I jokingly threw out Midge as an option. It's something you don't hear often but also a little bit sassy so I didn't care.

Since then I've come to love the name and as weird as it sounds, Midge has become a part of me.

Sometimes I need a boost of confidence or a push to do something I otherwise would be afraid to do. It's then I have to turn to my reserves, to Midge.

You see, it's not so much Midge vs Me...Midge IS Me.

-----

Midge

2 comments:

  1. Great story! And it suits you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That name is sooo cute! I totally thought that was your real name... now I'll be wondering for ages what it really is hehe.. You look like a Lauren! ;) (btw I LOVED Wedding Day Midge barbie. She was my fav.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock, you should leave one. Or two. Or lots...no limits here! Woo, comments!!!